2012 Official Rules
No Purchase Necessary.
1. DESCRIPTION OF THE CONTEST: UBM Electronics’ ACE Awards will recognize outstanding achievements of people, products and companies that show leadership in the electronics industry.
2. HOW TO ENTER: Submit your UBM Electronics ACE Awards nominations by completing the submission form online and following the instructions on the screen at www.ubm-ace.com. Individuals and companies shall nominate themselves and their products and executives, either directly or through an agent. All required fields must be completed in order for the submission to be valid. Required fields are noted on the submission form.
Online entries may be submitted at www.ubm-ace.com. Submissions will be accepted from 12:00 AM (EST) November 1, 2011 through 11:59 PM (EST) January 6, 2012. Alternatively, send the completed submission form, your name, company address (specify home or business), telephone number (specify home or business) and email address to 2012 UBM Electronics ACE Awards, Dawn Walton, 322 Sea Cliff Avenue, Sea Cliff, NY 11579. The contest begins November 1, 2011. All entries must be received on or before 11:59 PM (EST) January 6, 2012. No purchase is necessary. A purchase will not improve your chance of winning.
You may nominate as many products and individuals, and you may enter as many of the categories as you like. Multiple entries for the same category will be judged separately.
3. ELIGIBILITY: This contest is open to nominees who do business in the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) and are 18 years of age or older.Void where prohibited by law. All winners will be required to execute and affidavit swearing to compliance with these eligibility requirements. If you reside outside the U.S. or Canada, you may submit entries, but you are not eligible to win any awards; however, UBM Electronics reserves the right to post your entry in a showcase if in its sole discretion it deems worthy of showcasing. Employees of United Business Media LLC, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, agencies and assigns, and their immediate family members (spouse and parents, children and siblings, and their spouses) as well as individuals living in the same household of each are not eligible to participate. The contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and provincial laws and regulations.
4. CATEGORIES AND CRITERIA: One winner will be selected in each of the following categories.
Design Team of the Year:
The winner will be selected based on the5 creative, efficient and inspiring project management capabilities of the team, which led to a significant contribution to the furtherance of technology, including:
- The likelihood that the technology will make a significant impact in some sector of the electronic systems market.
- A novel and engaging way in which the technology delivers features.
- Techniques which led to faster design time and time to market.
- Exceptional creativity and persistence demonstrated by the team in the face of technical or business hurdles.
Innovator of the Year:
The winner will be selected based on the leadership, creativity and out-of-the-box thinking brought to technology, a product or a business, including:
- Success in the initial phase of a technology, product or business.
- The likelihood that a technology, product or business will have a significant impact in some sector of the electronics market.
- Persistence shown in the face of technical, business and/or cultural hurdles.
- The winner may be a researcher, engineer, manager, executive, venture capitalist or educator.
Executive of the Year:
The winner will be selected based on the leadership, and technological and fiscal vision brought to a company, or business during a calendar year, including:
- Outstanding growth in business, patents, alliances or design wins.
- The ability to demonstrate success in the marketplace or the likelihood that the business will have a significant impact in some sector of the electronics market.
- Persistence shown in the face of technical, business and/or cultural hurdles.
Startup Company of the Year:
The winner will be selected based on its demonstration of excellence in business and/or technology development, and the potential to become a technical or market leader in the global electronics industry, including:
- The development of an innovative business model that has the potential to cause disruptive change in a key technology or product area.
- The assembly of a team of “star” engineers and key executives who are putting in place new business ideas and technology development practices that challenge current and existing management wisdom in the electronics industry.
- The ability to overcome unexpected challenges and setbacks in key business/technology processes in areas such as: financing and capitalization, human resources, engineering development and design, manufacturing, marketing, sales and/or distribution.
- The ability to enter into and manage strategic partnerships that complement the company’s own strengths in key business and technology areas.
- The ability to lead and succeed in the domestic and global electronics market by delivering innovative engineering-based electronics products or solutions.
- This category is open only to venture capital (or pre-IPO financed) startup electronics manufacturing (device or system) companies in business for less than three years.
Company of the Year:
The winner will be selected based on its professionalism, staff development and retention, customer focus, technical excellence and profitable growth, including:
- The ability to exceed annual financial business goals and other market metrics set by management and/or third-party analysts for year-to-year performance.
- Advancement in rank or market order to surpass its competitors and gain a significant new industry, product or technology leadership position recognized by one or more independent industry observers.
- Introduction of a break-though product and/or technology that has the potential to alter the price/performance curve in a key product or technology area in electronics.
- A novel business or management practice that makes a significant contribution to improving the environment and/or quality of life for a region or country.
- Excellence and leadership in business practices and management in some or all of the following areas: capitalization and financing, research & development, hardware and/or software design, product design, device or system manufacturing, human resources management, marketing, PR and media relations, sales, and distribution.
Energy Technology Award:
A significant portion of the electronics industry has begun the historic shift from information to energy technology. This trend will help sustain and expand several industry sectors. Our Energy Technology Award recognizes those companies that have made the most significant contribution to this shift through the introduction of new concepts and products that help conserve energy or create new energy sources.
The recipient will have demonstrated the successful introduction of a renewable energy product, tool or service to a broad market. Among the metrics for this award are:
- The scaling of development and/or manufacture of renewable energy products, tools and services;
- The development and expansion of a company’s business partnerships through joint ventures, financial investors or other forms of collaboration that further the its business plan;
- Evidence that the company and its product, tool or service can compete in a global market often characterized by competition among nations rather than international companies.
- Putting federal or state funding or incentives, if any, to the best possible use to achieve the “biggest bang for the buck.”
- Evidence that the new product, tool or service has the potential to create new manufacturing or other technology jobs.
Student of the Year:
The award goes to an individual whose discipline, hard work and academic success are considered hallmarks for other engineering or science students.
5. JUDGING: A panel of UBM Electronics editors will narrow down the entries to five (5) finalists in each category, based on the criteria set forth above. Winners will be determined from among the finalists by a panel of independent judges selected by UBM Electronics a division of United Business Media. Judging will take place from January 9, 2012 through February 3, 2012, and winner will be announced at ESC Silicon Valley. The judges’ decisions are final.
6. AWARDS: Awards will be presented and winning companies and individuals will be honored at ESC Silicon Valley —March 26-29, 2012. Award winners will be posted on the UBM Electronics website at www.ubm-ace.com on Wednesday, March 28, 2012. In addition to the title, winners will receive a crystal statuette (value under $500) and listed in the April, 2012 issues of EE Times and EDN (Issues subject to change). (Expenses of attending the Conference and Awards ceremony will be the responsibility of the winners.) You do not need to be present at the Awards dinner to win. No prior announcement or information on winners will be provided. For the name of the finalists and winners, available after March 28, 2012, send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to:
UBM Electronics ACE Awards
322 Sea Cliff Avenue
Sea Cliff, NY 11579
7. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION: By entering, participants (i) agree to be bound by these Official Rules and (ii) grant UBM Electronics a division of United Business Media a royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide license to use and publicly display their entries for all advertising and marketing purposes, including promoting its web sites, products and services. Accordingly, no confidential information should be included in any entry. Submissions remain the property of the entrants; however, by entering, entrants consent to the use of their name and likeness for advertising, promotional and/or marketing purposes without additional compensation. (A Tennessee resident consents to the use of his name and likeness only if such Tennessee resident expressly consents to such use.) By entering, participants release and hold harmless UBM Electronics a division of United Business Media, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees and agents from any and all liability or injuries, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with participation in this contest. UBM Electronics a division of United Business Media is not responsible for incorrect or inaccurate entry of information including, but not limited to technical malfunctions, human error, lost/delayed data transmission, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, line failures of any telephone network, computer equipment, software or any combination thereof, entry materials that have been tampered with, or mail in entries that are illegible, late, lost, damaged, postage due or misdirected. UBM Electronics a division of United Business Media is not responsible for any injury or damage to participants’ or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any material in this promotion. Entries that have been tampered with or altered are void. UBM Electronics reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend this promotion if it becomes technically corrupted or if for any reason the Internet portion of the program is not capable of running as planned, including infections by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of UBM Electronics a division of United Business Media that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this promotion.
This promotion shall be governed by the laws of the United States
8. Finalist and Winner Logos:
UBM Electronics ACE Awards Finalists and Winners can purchase use of the UBM Electronics ACE Awards Finalist and Winner logos. For more information & logo usage guidelines, please contact Dawn Waltondawnwalton@optonline.net